Monday, September 6, 2010

LETTING GO

This is the way we must let go in life.
The terms of surrender are given
And we're obliged to accept them.
Night follows day. We let go of the light
And give thanks for the darkness.
The colors and softness of spring
Brighten into the heat of summer.
We let go of the flowers,
Accepting the radiant heat.
We pass from childhood,
Yielding gladly, embracing our youth.
When it is time to reliquish youth,
We are powerless once again.
Acknowledging the signs of age,
We let go.
It is no wonder we want to stop
This continual surrender,
This unceasing goodbye.

Thus begins Chapter 3 of Passage, Illness as Initiation. This poem makes me feel nostalgic, but I now I choose to welcome the future rather than linger on goodbyes. Perhaps writing the book made this change of perspective possible.

1 comment:

  1. I am SO glad you are sharing your poetry, Jann. I am definitely not a good critic, nor am I a poet, but I always enjoy and appreciate yours when you share it with us at the Critique Group. Way to go, Jann.

    ReplyDelete