Friday, September 10, 2010

Friend's Transition

This morning I got word that Fred Lanphear, (http://elderfred.wordpress.com/) breathed his last difficult breath last night after 3 years of having A.L.S. Saying goodbye to friends has been a major feature of being in my 70's. Fred was husband of my dear friend Nancy. My love and thoughts are with her today

I used to make fun of 20th century Christians who still believed in the 3-story heaven-earth-hell universe. Now I find great comfort in the thought of Suzanne and her dad, "my" Fred, waiting for me "on the far-side banks of Jordan." when I get there. I now believe in infinite universes, coming into being as we imagine them.

About 15 years ago,  my Fred (d.2008) and I visited Joyce (d.1998) and David (d.2009) Reese in Chickasha, OK.They showed us the beautiful garden Fred L.(d.last night) had designed and helped them build. Fred L. had a Ph.D. in agronomy and did wonderful things with plants on many continents.

My fantasy this morning was of Joyce and David, Fred McGuire and daughter Suzanne greeting Fred Lanphear with great joy. A gospel song came to mind. "Won't it be wonderful there?"

No comments:

Post a Comment