Saturday, September 4, 2010

AFRAID

Like a small burrowing animal,
Safe in its cozy earth home,
Feeling the first tremor, my heart pounds.
Hearing the roar of approaching doom,
Time slows and only terror remains,
Forming a hard lump in my throat,
Girdling my belly like steel.
Not knowing what is coming,
Unable to flee or fight,
I wait. Knowing only the inevitability of change.

This is the poem with which the first chapter of my book, Dark Passage, Illness as Initiation, begins. I tell of finding the lump at the base of my neck above the collarbone and introduce Fred and Suzanne in this chapter. Didn't really feel afraid like this "small burrowing animal" until my cancer treatment was all over and Fred had a stroke.

1 comment:

  1. Writing these blogs is the most spiritually sustaining exercise we have. This blog is radiating your heart's beauty from the colors to the images to the statement of love. Judi

    ReplyDelete