Monday, March 28, 2011

Old Friend

Body, my host,
My home, my harbor,
Graciously you welcome
My spirit within.
Happily you transform yourself for me:
     small to large,
     thin to fat,
     pregnant to barren,
     sick to well,
     young to old.
Safely you shelter my heart,
Secure from devastating storm.
Anchored in the present moment,
I thank thee, faithful friend.

My late husband Fred was born about 12 miles from where I sit, 79 years ago today. I was thinking of him this morning in twilight consciousness and was again struck by the awesomeness of life and death, of how I miss his body that comforted me in so many ways: having him beside me in church or theater, his beautiful voice, his hand to hold or to feel on the small of my back as we entered.

Perhaps saying goodbye to my own body won't be as difficult as saying goodbye to Fred's. It's just one more  transformation, And perhaps I'll recognize his spirit, waiting for mine. Until then, I'll remember him on his birthday, be grateful and have a happy Aries day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment