Thursday, March 3, 2011

Muse


Your crashing waves come like a lover,
Ask me to manifest thought,
From the energy you bring.
Your boundless power is reborn as
Tracks on a white page.

Your presence inspires the nurture of
Earthy islands of matter.
With time and endless patience,
The islands become ecosystems,
Alive, firm and sound.

Your dancing flames draw air from my mind.
Words become fiery storms that
Whirl into passionate force
With potential to cleanse every thing,
And light a new world.

Your loving strokes nurture me wholly,
Only freedom between us.
I respond with minute points,
Tell small stories of my joy and pain.
And of forgiveness.

Infinite, you crush my finitude.
With overpowering love,
You call me to cross frontiers.
Afraid, inadequate to answer,
Yet I answer. Yes.

As I strive to gain the discipline to write every day as well as fulfill all my other vows, I'm often left with frustration. But the reconstruction of this poem, written about 15 years ago, left me inspired and breathless once again. I love it. Hope you do, too.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Jann, the poem is beautiful and inspiring. Although I feel the urge to say something about striving for the discipline to write every day. For me, Silence just demands to be the dominant force some days!

    ReplyDelete