Monday, February 14, 2011

The Wheel

As the Lost Child,
I walked on air,
Carried by the invisible, saving wings
Of my imagination.

As the Chosen One,
I walked through fire,
Given the passion to work miracles,
My heart ablaze.

As the Despairing One,
I walked on water,
Over the chaos and wreckage of my dreams,
My womb barren.

Now, as the Healed One,
I experience the greatest miracle thus rar:
I walk daily on the Good Earth,
My feet firm.

This was a version of my life story when I wrote it in the mid-80's. I was passionately doing the 12 Steps of Alchoholics Anonymous. I believe that going around the wheel is a natural process that repeats itself throughout life as we face the inevitable changes that life brings.

Perhaps the phases could be called "Egg, Larva, Cocoon and Butterfly" rather than "Lost Child, Chosen One, Despairing One, Healed One." The phase I once judged to be a time of despair and barrenness was a time of profound development. It was a dark time; the purpose my Higher Power was working in my life was hidden from me. Even then I knew that I was "walking on water," sustained and supported despite my own hopelessness.

Now I love the darkness of night, of winter, of the dream time. I honor my entire journey as a gift.  It was very wise of the church fathers who decided to include the words, "descended into hell" in the great Apostles Creed. Denying difficulty and struggle cuts off a necessary part of the creative process life is meant to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment